Saturday, April 14, 2007

Catering to Nobody - Diane Mott Davidson


I finished another cozy mystery this morning. This time it was Diane Mott Davidson’s Catering to Nobody.

In this first story of the series Goldy’s business is closed down when her ex father in law is poisoned on the wake of her son’s teacher. To get her business open as soon as possible she decides to investigate on her own and soon she finds a lot of hidden secrets about her ex in laws and her son’s teacher’s death.

I have some mixed feelings about it. As a whole I enjoyed it but there were some things that bothered me. First of all it has a bit of a slow start, I really wanted to know more a bit earlier. Then I think we don’t really get to know Goldy really well as there’s no mention of her past before her marriage, of course that might be solved when I continue the series. And then all that situation that was happening with Patty Sue and what had happened with the other girl felt a bit weird to me., It’s like it was too serious a subject to be dealt like this in a cozy.

Other than that it was nice read, I was hoping Goldy would decide between the cop (who told her more than I think cops usually do) and Pom. It was kind of weird how one was totally smitten by her and she kept mentioning how attracted she was with the other. I also like Arch, Goldy and John Richard’s son, with a really difficult attitude sometimes I think he ended up looking like a real 11 year old.

I couldn't help comparing this story to the other culinary mystery series I've been reading lately, Joanne Fluke's Hannah Swensen mysteries. So far I think I identify with Hannah a bit more but I guess I'll have to read more books on this series to really be able to compare.

It’s a B- for this because even with the flaws I mentioned I can’t wait to start the next one. Fortunately I already have it in the TBR pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to chat about books and stuff and I would love to hear from like minded readers. Please do leave me a comment :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...