Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Dark Demon - Christine Feehan



For as long as she can remember, Natalya has been fighting demons: first in the form of childhood nightmares, then later, immortal creatures that kill and prey on the innocent--including her own twin brother. Whether Carpathian or vampire, she slays those who murder by night, and has no equal--until she is seduced by the ve thing she considers her enemy...
184324A Carpathian who has seen nearly everything in his endless existence, Vikirnoff doesn't think he can be surprised anymore--until he faces a woman who rival him as a vampire hunter. A formidable and gifted warrior in her own right, Natalya has a nature that is strange familiar--yet alien--to his own. Who is this mysterious female who fears no one--not even him? Natalya could the key to the survival of the Carpathians, but a Vikirnoff is certain of is that she is the key to his hear and soul...


I have a special fondness for Feehan as she was the first fantasy author I read. This was way back when I started reading books in English and found a huge amount of themes and plots I had never read and was enthusiastically going through all of them. Before I created this blog to keep track of my reads.  Feehan's larger than life heroes were different from anything I had read till then and I devoured the first Carpathian books.

Then other authors, plots. themes and heroes got in the way and I spent years without reading her books. Then about 5 or 6 years ago I decided to reread those first Carpathians to write a proper review. And I also read her Drake sisters books. By then I realised I enjoyed the Drake's better then the Carpathians but I was planning to keep on rereading them. I ended up never doing it due to a case of too many new books waiting on my shelves but last month I picked where I had left off  and I read Dark Demon.

In this book Feehan introduces the Dragonseekers. The heroine, Natalya is part Dragon seeker and part Carpathian. She is a warrior, her life's goal is to seek and destroy vampires. Thus she sees the Carpathians as enemies. Vikirnoff (to whom I keep calling Virkinoff in my head...) has been looking for his lifemate for some time. He has a picture of her (if it is mentioned in previous books how he got it I truly can't remember) and when he sees Natalya he knows she is the one.

I thought this might prove to be an interesting angle, with him having to prove that he is not the enemy and getting to know each other. My problem is that when they meet it is in the middle of a fight and most of the book is one fight after another between Carpathians and Vampires. There's a lot of information about the Dragonseekers and what has happened to them in the last generations. Some of which I found interesting (it seems I can't resist a tortured soul) but most of it ended up being confusing with all the other story lines - a lot of other Carpathians and their lifemates are mentioned and I had some trouble remembering all of them and what they were capable of. Natalya is a shape shifter which, I think is something new in terms of lifemates, I didn't realise if she went through any form of conversion or not.  Basically I missed having them go through the "courtship" process and that would have probably helped me in getting all the plots straight.

Then, a bigger problem for me, I think the type of language that Feehan uses is getting old. I didn't like how they talk to one another, I don't like that she keeps inserting unfamiliar words - even if she provides a translation - and I don't like that the males are always so possessive and keep trying to control their mates. It's scary not romantic all those endearments in every page and the whole feels over the top. I like over the top when it's funny not when it is supposed to be serious...

Grade: 2/5

PS. It must be that I am suffering from series-itis that I am still thinking of getting to Razvan's book... That and my fondness for Feehan will also get me to buy the first in the series that followed the Drake sisters. Is anyone reading those and recommends?

3 comments:

  1. I like the Ghost Hunters series, I think there are 9 or 10 at this point. Feehan still uses the pre-destined pair-coupling (in GH, there is a Mad Scientist who may have manipulated pheronomes to bring about his desired mating pairs.)
    The external conflict is thrilling. The internal conflict (predictably) requires the woman to accept the inevitability of the pairing, and the man to ask nicely instead of dragging the woman by the hair Caveman Style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thalia, thanks for dropping by and suggesting those. The name brings something to mind but I can't remember if I've tried any of those. I'll get the first one to read soon.

      Delete
  2. Ana... I also have read several Feehan books and like Thalia, I prefer GH.
    I've picked the carpathians on book #7, Gabriel's. It was good at the time but his brother's I loved, so I kept going. Some I liked more than others, I didn't read them all but I stopped at Dark Predator which I didn't lie much. I'm tired of the same thing and even more of how all the women are similar, why can't one, the humans at least, be happier, sunnier..it's all too dark and I now it's the premise but still.

    I have water bound to read and I will, but apart from GH I thin I'll stop reading more by mrs Feehan.

    ReplyDelete

I love to chat about books and stuff and I would love to hear from like minded readers. Please do leave me a comment :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...