Thursday, October 18, 2007

Lover Awakened - JR Ward


I think I finally realised what my problem is with JR Ward. I really liked the story she wants to tell. In this one for instance Zsadist has been physically and sexually abused, treated like a slave and Bella tries to heal him with her love.

A former blood slave, the vampire Zsadist still bears the scars from a past filled with suffering and humiliation. Renowned for his unquenchable fury and sinister deeds, he is a savage feared by humans and vampires alike. Anger is his only companion, and terror is his only passion—until he rescues a beautiful aristocrat from the evil Lessening Society.
Bella is instantly entranced by the seething power Zsadist possesses. But even as their desire for one another begins to overtake them both, Zsadist’s thirst for vengeance against Bella’s tormentors drives him to the brink of madness. Now, Bella must help her lover overcome the wounds of his tortured past, and find a future with her…


My problem was that I wanted to read this story but with a bigger analysis of his feelings, of his doubts, of how he deals with his shame and how that is going to change. More emphasis on the feelings and less on the action. I really don't want to know how many lessers Z. has to kill to feel he avenged Bella, I want to know about that moment when he looked at Bella and felt there might be salvation and a future for him.

I did however enjoyed reading it in the sense that I was entertained, but I really can't stop feeling it might have been something indeed memorable if treated differently. I liked how Bella decided she wanted to be with Z. and went against everyone to do it. How he had to overcome all his fears and beliefs but how eventually he was the one to come to Bella when she needed him. I liked their relationship even if in the beginning it seemed more explosive and violent than ever.

I supposed I liked what I had but I wanted more, more for me to really believe in them and their suffering and final salvation. I needed a different approach. Or maybe it's just me and my thing with paranormals, other people don't seem to have had any problems believing them.

Grade: B even if it is cartoonish and over the top and I'm rating the idea behind the book more than the actual writing.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand you perfectly, Ana.:) It's true that the lesser part of the story is completely unappealing (and boring!!) and Ward could just stay a bit more with her characters and their feelings. Something that can be also annoying is the fact that this is all about the guys (not that I don't like them!:P) and their women, even if extraordinary, don't take much place in this world or at least, it's how I see it.
    In Lover Unbound the lesser part was reduced, but as you know the ending is quite unorthodox...

    Sorry for the deleted post but I hit the the wrong button, a clear sign that I'm still sleeping.;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL and thank you for commenting, I was a bit worried about posting this, I seem to be alone in my views :-S

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL No, you really aren't that alone.;-) I read in a french board some time ago several negative opinions about Ward's stories and some other people said they liked them but were not that impressed.
    Frankly, I don't know what she is planning for the next ones but I read that her upcoming books will be released first in hardcover. Oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must say I often have the same feeling with romances. I wonder if it's due to the number of pages limitations...

    Would the writers describer further and deeper the heros' feelings if they could write much ?

    It must be hard to find just the right balance between action and thoughts...

    Lluthiel

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right Lluthiel, it must be hard to find the balance. I must say I've been eager to try different books lately where I might find exactly that.

    Alex, it's good to have company. I realise however that despite my complaints I still gave her a be. If I'm not mistaken my lowest grade was given to first book in the series. It must have been the shock lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't realized it until you posted this, but I agree with you, too. And just for the record...I absolutely hated this book. I think I'm the only person alive who's read it that can say that. Z was just a horrible character. And I think you're right, he would have been much more memorable (and maybe even lovable) if she'd fleshed his feelings out more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She has got a character called Zsadist!? for real? oh, goodness. I read some hype for her first book and even read the first pages but could not go on, I think the name just shows how lame the writing is. Zsadist has got to be the lamest name ever.

    OTOH lame sometimes work, I did fall for Anne Bishop´s original trilogy, the names are sometimes unfortunate and vibes sound similar, but my inner 13 year old girl lurved it...

    ReplyDelete

I love to chat about books and stuff and I would love to hear from like minded readers. Please do leave me a comment :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...