Monday, October 22, 2007

Dark Need - Lynn Viehl


Another book I've read during my vacation was Dark Need. I've been enjoying Viehl's Darkyn world and this book 3 in the series was no exception.

Homicide detective Samantha Brown is a tough, highly decorated cop. But twelve lonely years after she nearly died of a gunshot wound, she aches with a deep inner longing. In pursuit of a deranged killer, her only clue is a medieval cross inscribed "Lucan"-the name of the owner of a new nightclub near the murder scene. Drawn into a seamy underworld, Samantha falls for Lucan-who believes he's a vampire and Samantha is his reincarnated first love. Now, she must save this mysterious, seductive man who seems beyond redemption if he is to fulfill her deepest, darkest desires.

I liked it because I liked Lucan. He is extremely bad as a character, he is a killer after all. But he shows internal conflit about what he is, about how he can't touch people. Samantha, the cop, has quite a few problems, she has been harassed in the past by a fellow police officer and almost killed because of it. Now that cop is back to torment her.

I really enjoyed Lucan and Samantha's rocky relationship. Lucan is sure he can persuade her to come to him, thanks to his Darkyn power, and Samantha fights him all the way through till the papers change and he wants to send her away when she is decided to stay.

I think the main problem with Viehl's books is that there are always so many characters and subplots around that sometimes one feels a bit lost. Of course that's always a way of keeping us on edge about what's going on. Cyprien and Alex show up yet again but that is always a good thing, I really like Alex and how she keeps Michael, and everyone else on their toes. Cyprien and Lucan are involved in a fight for power that leads to Lucan threatening Alex. However he is not as bad as he would have us believe and Samantha and Alex, with the help of Samantha's neighbour - a goth girl I quite enjoyed, end up saving the day. Regarding the Darkyn's society I have yet to fully understand Richard and his motivations and since the book ends with a big cliffhanger I'll be looking forward to the next one.

Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to chat about books and stuff and I would love to hear from like minded readers. Please do leave me a comment :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...