Friday, January 25, 2013

No One Left to Tell - Karen Rose (2013 Rom Sus Reading Challenge)


A car crashes in front of rookie PI Paige Holden’s home. And suddenly, she finds one of her pro bono clients dying in her arms—from a gunshot wound. With her last breath, the woman whispers cryptic words into her ear and hands her a blood-smeared flash drive.
Five years ago, State’s Attorney Grayson Smith put a murderer behind bars. But when Paige Holden shares the flash drive with him, its contents cast doubts on the conviction—and lead him and Paige into a world of blackmail, dark secrets, and a decades-long string of murders. An investigation they’ll survive only by trusting each other—and the truth.


I really enjoy reading Karen Rose's books. Even when I don't love something about them, like in the previous book, I always find myself entertained and I await each of them eagerly.

No One Left to Tell is set in Baltimore, just like the previous book. The characters we met in the previous book are back as secondary character and the center stage in this story is now State's Attorney Grayson Smith, which had a small appearance in the last book and Paige Holden which we know from Silent Scream.  I remember that I really enjoyed the girl’s relationship in that book so I was looking forward to meet Paige again.

No One Left To Tell is an action filled, fast paced, story. Not only are there many new characters introduced as there seems to be several stories being developed. There's plenty of background info and while I think this stands alone quite nicely it is probably better if you get to it after having read Rose's other books first.

I did like Paige and Grayson. Like in the previous story I thought they feel the hots for each other a bit too soon but considering the type of action we have here there certainly isn't time to slowly develop a relationship (I do wonder if Rose is slowly developing Maynard's in the background). Even so, I did like how they deal with the feelings they have and how Paige is determined not to fall blindly into something that might hurt in the long run.

While I find the romantic element one of attractions of Rose's books I have to say that I was really curious about how she was going to connect all the dots in this story. Readers of the genre know, and expect, that that is what happens at the end but with so many seemingly loose ends in this story I was curious to see how she was going to make it work.

I did like the new secondary characters we got to meet here. She usually introduces characters in one book that became main character is another but I wish she would go ahead with Maynard’s story. Alas, I have already found out that, once again, the next book is not about him...

By now I have read all of Rose's books except the short story in the Hot Pursuit anthology. Any one read it and recommends it?

Grade: 4/5

This read counts for the 2013 Romantic Suspense Reading Challenge

7 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I'm so glad you enjoyed this book..she's no Tess Gerritsen, but I like her books a lot, mostly for the romance parts.
    I haven't read that short story...who's featured in it?

    Kiss
    sonia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sonia,
    I don't recognise the couple in the short story, see here if it rings a bell for you http://www.karenrosebooks.com/krose-hot-essay.php

    I'm looking forward to her next story although it won't be about Clay and Stevie. I mean, she is going to pair those 2 isn't she? ;-)

    Regarding Gerritsen do we know when her next book is coming out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've checked the couple from the short story and I don't know them I've seen in goodreads it's a story without any link to the characters in her other books.
      Yes, someone I know who's already read the latest book said all hints point out to them ending up together. I hope their book is next.

      About Gerritsen, no I haven't read anything yet about it...
      ****

      Delete
  3. Ah ok. I'll see if I find it...

    I've been thinking they would end up together since the last book. I hope it ends up being a very good story because all this anticipation is making me very eager to get it. Do you know when it will be out as an ebook?

    Gerritsen should write faster :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen Rose must be one of the worst authors to post info online because most times I find out about her incoming book releases somewhere else but her site.
      So no, I have no idea.
      :(

      Delete
    2. That's bad, I hate it when I go looking for info and can't find it on the author's page.
      I just checked Amazon and the kindle book is already available. Yepeee!!

      And while there I discovered a couple of Gerritsen's short stories that I will simply have to get too.

      Delete
  4. Sounds good. She's new to me so I will investigate some more.

    ReplyDelete

I love to chat about books and stuff and I would love to hear from like minded readers. Please do leave me a comment :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...