Wednesday, March 26, 2008

What's a Ghoul To Do? - Victoria Laurie


I've greatly enjoyed Victoria Laurie's book about Abby Cooper and that's why I was curious about this series. It has some similarities to Abby's story but I didn't enjoy it as much.

M.J., her partner Gilley, and their client, the wealthy, de-lish Dr. Steven Sable, are at his family's lodge, where his grandfather allegedly jumped to his death from the roof-although Sable says it was foul play. But the patriarch's isn't the only ghost around. The place is lousy with souls, all with something to get off their ghoulish chests. Now M.J. will have to to quell the clamor-and listen for a voice with the answers...

The heroine, M.J. is a psychic medium, she speaks with dead people and helps them cross to the other side. If they are still around it's usually because they have some unfinished business and are usually bothering someone. So M.J. is actually a ghosbuster!

M.J. has a friend and partner in Gilley who helps her busting the ghosts but also with the financial aspect of the business. Gilley is very happy when they find a new client in Dr Steven Sable, a hunk that M.J. can't help being attracted to, who wants them to find out what really happened to his grandfather.

I like that Laurie describes the heroine and her work in such a down to earth manner. We get to know what she feels, what she does, her worries about dealing with ghosts. That was interesting although I felt there was a bit too much psychic stuff than what I usually enjoy.

She adds a bit of romance with the Dr Sable character. I thought he was the least believable of the main characters. He is fluent in several languages but makes some basic errors in the English language. It didn't sound right!

Other than those minor problems it's a fun and light mystery, with a chick littlish feel, really fast paced and entertaining to spend a few hours with. It was just a bit too light for me.

Grade: C-

2 comments:

  1. Halu Ana,

    I agree with you there, What's a Ghoul to do had a good premise but some parts were a little too technical. Might take a go with the second book though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be looking forward to your opinion if you do!

    ReplyDelete

I love to chat about books and stuff and I would love to hear from like minded readers. Please do leave me a comment :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...