Wednesday, December 5, 2012

A Christmas Tree for Toddlers

Since I have 2 toddlers at home I knew I couldn't put up a traditional Christmas tree without risking its destruction. Is there anything more attractive to a toddler than lights and colours? So, I have been thinking about alternative trees and browsing the web for ideas. I wasn't sure about the right material but when I found one made of felt I knew that that was what I wanted to use. The only thing I wasn't too happy about was the fact that it was a flat tree, to hang on the wall. 

I thought about the best way to do something similar but that it would be with volume and that it could stand up. I finally decided to go for it when I found a plastic box with the right shape. It was very light, meaning they could hold it; it is virtually unbreakable so there's no problem if they throw it to the floor while playing with it. I bought green felt and covered the box with it. The only thing I kept from the original project was the balls - if they are just flat felt circles they'll adhere to the tree if you just press felt against felt.  If I made them voluminous they would be too heavy to be of any use.
You can find the original tree here as I saved it to my pinterest board. And here is my finished project:

It's about 50 cm high so I can put it on the floor and twins will keep themselves busy playing with it. :-)


This project counts for the Pin It & Do It Challenge

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea!! My daughter is 20 months so she is just now starting to get the tree and that there are dangling things on it. So far she's only found one ornament that she likes to pull off the tree and wear as a bracelet but I'm not sure we'll be so lucky next year.

    ReplyDelete

I love to chat about books and stuff and I would love to hear from like minded readers. Please do leave me a comment :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...