Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The Duchess War - Courtney Milan


13489919Miss Minerva Lane is a quiet, bespectacled wallflower, and she wants to keep it that way. After all, the last time she was the center of attention, it ended badly--so badly that she changed her name to escape her scandalous past. Wallflowers may not be the prettiest of blooms, but at least they don't get trampled. So when a handsome duke comes to town, the last thing she wants is his attention.


But that is precisely what she gets.
Because Robert Blaisdell, the Duke of Clermont, is not fooled. When Minnie figures out what he's up to, he realizes there is more to than her spectacles and her quiet ways. And he's determined to lay her every secret bare before she can discover his. But this time, one shy miss may prove to be more than his match...

Another book by Courtney Milan that I really enjoyed. And we get to take a peek at Lydia and Jonas from A Kiss at Midwinter.

I did enjoy Robert very much. I also enjoyed Minnie but I think I enjoyed Robert even more. Like in AKaM this felt like a real and vivid story. The characters felt real, in unusual situations and have to make complex decisions (a bit like how I felt reading The Governess Affair) and I really enjoyed following these two characters on their way to love.

I loved it that Minnie's story is so different from everything I had heard before and I loved Robert's relationship with his brother -  I really hope Milan has a story for the brother - what we discover about his mother and I loved that they felt so unique. I really enjoyed that the setting was an industrial city where the worker's rights and problems were on the front stage.

A really enjoyable story!

Grade: 4/5


1 comment:

  1. I loved this book! I think the most wonderful thing is how the couple develops a special but realistic relationship. I loved Minnie, she's the ind of heroine I prefer, poor but determined...and Robbie is a great hero!!
    Yes, the brother is the book after!!!
    kiss

    ReplyDelete

I love to chat about books and stuff and I would love to hear from like minded readers. Please do leave me a comment :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...