Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Blood Bound - Patricia Briggs


Mechanic Mercy Thompson has friends in low places-and in dark ones. And now she owes one of them a favor. Since she can shapeshift at will, she agrees to act as some extra muscle when her vampire friend Stefan goes to deliver a message to another of his kind.


But this new vampire is hardly ordinary-and neither is the demon inside of him.


It took me a long time to pick up this book 2 in Mercy Thompson's series but now that I've read it I can't wait to continue with it. Iron Kissed is what I'm going to read next! Mercy is a walker; a shape shifter than can turn into a coyote her world is filled with vampires, werewolves, fae and occasionally humans.


In this story Mercy receives a request for help from her friend Stephan, the vampire, in the middle of the night. He is going to investigate a sorcerer turned Vampire that he fears can dominate him with magic but won’t dominate Mercy. His fears are confirmed and he and Mercy end the night a bit worse for wear while the sorcerer/vampire goes off to do more horrific things.

Stephan vows not to endanger Mercy again and goes off to destroy the entity on his own but not only he disappears as Warren, Mercy's werewolf friend is found almost dead, and Mercy is asked by Marsilia, the head of the vampires, to find and destroy the sorcerer that is on a murdering spree and calling the cop's attention to both vampires and werewolves.

There were two things I really enjoyed in this story, first that we find out a lot more about how the vampires are organised, about their powers and how they "work"; secondly that it made Mercy a very strong heroine, capable of defeating her enemies without turning into a machine with no feelings.

On the romantic front Mercy is still divided between Adam and Samuel and seems unable to make a choice since doing so would mean letting go of one of them. While this could easily seems the work of a needy and manipulative person I think Briggs handles it with much success by making us aware of Mercy's feelings that truly make her a well rounded character.

Grade: 4.5/5

4 comments:

  1. Love this series!! Took me forever to start reading them but after I read the first one I just could not rest until I had read hem all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandy!
    Same here! I just finished Iron Kissed and am in the process of writing my review. And it's off to book 4. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I love this series too! Iron Kissed was very intense and had some tough moments but I loved it, and Bone Crossed is great, too. I am so looking forward to Silver Borne - roll on March!
    Have you read the Alpha and Omega books/story too? It is great as well although I prefer the Mercy books, mostly because I really like Mercy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Liz, I'll be posting my review of Iron Kissed tomorrow. :-)

    Yes, I've read the short story and the first book and have the second in the TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete

I love to chat about books and stuff and I would love to hear from like minded readers. Please do leave me a comment :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...