Friday, April 5, 2013

An Affair of Honor - Candice Hern (Regency Romance Reading Challenge)




During Meg Ashburton's single London Season she had been a wallflower ignored by all of Society. Except for one man. Lord Sedgewickhad danced with her, and she had secretly fallen in love with him. Now, six years later, a carriage accident drops the injured Lord Sedgewick practically on her doorstep. Hoping for a second chance at love with him, Meg instead finds her world turned upside-down.


When I decided to join the Regency Romance Reading Challenge I was planning to start my first book in January. Things got in the way though and although I do have the books for January and February in the TBR pile the truth is that March was the first month where I managed to read the book scheduled. I didn't realise it while reading but this book - An Affair of Honor - is actually the third in a trilogy (the first two being the January and February titles. And if I didn't feel like I was missing something now that I know of this I am wondering if my enjoyment of the book would have been different if I had read them in order.

This is a story I enjoyed more while I was reading it than now that I am trying to come up with a review. The characters are very engaging, really nice people to be honest, and while we know the heroine has fallen for the hero a few years back we slowly see them getting to know each other and liking each other in the present time. There's a lot of humour in their relationship and I thought that was a really nice touch. While they are physically attracted to one another we see them developing a deeper connection. 

But they are, eventually separated by a silly misunderstanding. One that leads Sedge to some wild behaviour and Meg to a broken heart. But, after a while, they do decide to pull their lives back together and their reunion will lead to some much needed explanations.

I think my problem with it, as I look back to write the review, is that the misunderstanding that separated them is indeed silly and very easily solved if they had just talked to each other instead of assuming the worst. I feel that separation was forced just for the sake of a few more pages.

There's a bit of a mystery that runs through the story. It's quite predictable to be honest but it didn't bother me much. I was hoping that that bit would lead to a stronger ending but oh well... I think I would have given it a 4 while I was reading it but now I will lower it a bit.


Grade: 3.5/5

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, there is a reson for reading series in order! I haven't read Candice Hern yet. One day...maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy her when you do. I've read a few but none has been a complete success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today, I went to the beachfront with my kids.
    I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She placed the shell to her ear and
    screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and
    it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back!
    LoL I know this is completely off topic but I had to tell someone!


    my web blog - レイバンサングラス

    ReplyDelete

I love to chat about books and stuff and I would love to hear from like minded readers. Please do leave me a comment :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...