Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Heart of Obsidian - Nalini Singh

A dangerous, volatile rebel, hands stained bloodred.
A woman whose very existence has been erased.
A love story so dark, it may shatter the world itself.
A deadly price that must be paid.The day of reckoning is here.


I was a bit worried when I started Heart of Obsidian. There was so much expectation attached to Kaleb Krychek's story. And then I was worried when I finished it because this was one story I loved, and I wasn't entirely sure that I would be able to write a review that would make it justice.

Coincidentally my other favourites in this series (Slave to Sensation and Caressed by Ice) also include Psy as main characters. But this one had two Psys in the main roles and I wasn't sure if Singh would be able to write an emotional story about people who are suppose to be Silent. The truth is that she did it beautifully in a smooth and understated way. Kaleb is still the man he has shown the world in the previous books but at the same time we realise he does have an Achilles heel. he has someone who makes him feel and for her, or because of her, he will do everything and anything thus denying his silence.

Sahara is a broken heroine at the beginning of this story. She recognises in Kaleb someone from her past but she has to heal her mind and at the same time collect the missing pieces of the puzzle that is her life to find out whether he his friend or foe. Only her instinct guides her. That and the undeniable attraction she feels for him. She quickly recognises that Kaleb is dangerous. Not only that but it is not clear if he wants her for herself or for her ability that could bring him even more power. While Sahara tries to reconcile what her instincts and her brain tell her, Kaleb decides that the best way for them to bond is to enter in a sexual relationship. He has no plans to let her go and it is best if she doesn't want to leave him.

While these two deal with each other and their differences the world Singh created is facing big challenges. The Pure Psy are out to try to maintain Silence even if for that they have to kill people. While Kaleb saves the day in many of attacks done by the Pure Psy it is unclear, to us and Sahara, what his true goals are. That is naturally addressed by the end of the end as is the Ghost enigma. I thought the way that was resolved was too easy but I have to admit that I don't remember much of the previous books where he entered and one of these days I'll have to plan a reread of this series.

Kaleb and Sahara are indeed the main focus of the book. The Changelings appear only as secondary characters and I liked to see the story happening mostly in the Psy world. I thought the political intrigue and the romance were well integrated and, since the most relevant characters in the story besides the main couple were Aden and Vasic, I am hoping for another Psy book next. Especially because I want to see more of Kaleb. Singh doesn't make him into a good, warmhearted man, instead he keeps being the same dark character and I would love to see what happens next.

All in all a very good read that delivered what I have been expecting in the last few books of this series. Hopefully the next one will be as strong.

Grade: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to chat about books and stuff and I would love to hear from like minded readers. Please do leave me a comment :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...