Thursday, December 14, 2006

Bones


This year I've read one of Kathy Reichs books featuring forensic anthropologist dr. Tempe Brennan. It was Grave Secrets.

So, naturally, when I saw the commercial for a new series involving this character I was really intrigued and decided to watch it. It aired yesterday on channel 2 - the pilot and episode 1 - from what I see on the series website we are 1 season behind.

Pilot
When a badly decomposed corpse is found during the routine cleaning of a pond in Arlington National Cemetery, FBI Special Agent Seeley Booth hijacks renowned forensic anthropologist (and best selling novelist) Dr Temperance Brennan, to help identify the body.

Ep. 1
An SUV driven by a Middle Eastern man explodes in front of a busy Washington DC café. Dr temperance Brennan, a forensic anthropologist, Angela Montenegro, her reconstruction artist and her assistant Zack Addy arrived at the scene. The middle eastern man is idenfified as Hamid Masruk and Brennan is asked to confirm the identity.

What seems odd to me is that the Temperance Brennan of this series seemed a lot more witty and energetic that the one I read about, also she seemed a lot younger than she should be. My conclusion is that the series is only inspired in the main character of the books but the stories shown are not based in them.

She cames across as some sort of genious immediately drawing conclusions from the bones when in the book she comes acress more like a medical expert and a researcher. In the series she is more like an action woman and less like a scientist. I guess that works better on TV where you need to have something happening all the time.
In the end, and although I enjoyed watching these 2 episodes, I think I liked the book more. I have yet to read the others besides Grave Secrets but they are on my list...

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting. I've heard of this show and, having read a few of the books, I was very interested in seeing it. But from what you say, it sounds like what makes Tempe so interesting in the books isn't carrying over to the TV show.

    ReplyDelete

I love to chat about books and stuff and I would love to hear from like minded readers. Please do leave me a comment :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...