Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Deception Point - Dan Brown


After I read The DaVinci Code, which I liked, and Angels and Demons, which I loved I put the other Dan Brown books on my wish list. I was recently sent this one as part of a bookring and decided to read it.

Rachel Sexton works for the National Reconnaissance Office as an intelligence officer. She is also the daughter of a Senator currently running for President. Her father's main offensive, and a very popular one, against the incumbent President is to attack the huge amount of NASA funding. Rachel is barely on speaking terms with her father, believing him to be totally corrupt, but is still worried she is being used by the President when he asks her to verify an amazing find by NASA, a find which will settle the arguments about NASA funding for ever. Reluctantly agreeing to view the find Rachel is whisked off to the North Pole. What she finds once she gets there takes her breath away. However, she quickly learns that nothing is what it seems, and, with two civilian scientists, is soon fleeing for her life. Stranded on an ice berg they are rescued in the nick of time by a nuclear submarine, but once back in the US their attempts to expose the plot show them that they can trust absolutely no one...

I ended up enjoying it but found that it lacked the fast pacing that the previous books had (especially Angels and Demons). Only the last third of the book equals them in the action department. Till then things happen but there's no sense of urgency wether in finding the clues or running away from the killers. The plot was nicely done, the find was surprising but I suppose one of the reasons I enjoyed the other books was because they dealt with historical people and monuments. Here it's meteorites and ocean life I don't find that as interesting. It's really me and not the book but sometimes a thriller is so nicely written that can sell me any subject, that was not the case here. Rachel and Tolland were really nice characters and as is usual in the Dan Brown books they give in to their attraction in the end.

Grade: C+, entertaining but forgettable.

5 comments:

  1. I like Dan Brown's novels but I find too that they lack this little something that makes good books unforgettable books.

    What I like most in "Deception Point" is the idea that a meteorite can be forged and the way to do it.

    I agree with your grading Ana : C+ or maybe a little B- ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually going with the B- grade till I realised this one would be in my memory for a long time like A&D or TDVC were.

    Yes I was totally surprised with the forged meteorite, I was expecting something from the moment the first scientist notices something wrong but not that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just out of curiosity, do you know if it was published before A&D, and The Da Vinci Code?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was published between A&D (2000) and TDVC (2003) in 2001.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is an entertaining read. I have read a few other Dan Brown novels, but the twists and surprises in this novel kept me guessing. Toward the end of the novel, I could predict what the ending would be.

    ReplyDelete

I love to chat about books and stuff and I would love to hear from like minded readers. Please do leave me a comment :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...