Monday, February 15, 2010

Last Chance, My Love - Lynne Connolly

What if you're in love-but you can't make love?

Miranda and Daniel, Earl and Countess of Rosington are deeply in love. However, Miranda contacted a severe fever in childbirth, leaving her with a high risk of dying should she conceive again. Daniel can't bear the thought of losing his wife and treats her like a porcelain doll, not a real woman.

Distraught, Miranda turns to her brother in law Orlando for advice. Together they concoct a plan that will bring Daniel to his senses, and soon Daniel finds himself on the losing end of a wager.

Miranda and Daniel must pose as a simple innkeeper and his wife, working together to save a failing business.

Forced into sharing a bed, searing desire threatens to ruin Daniel's good intentions. Daniel will have to overcome his fear of his wife dying, and Miranda must overcome her inhibitions, to seduce Daniel.

Can Daniel and Miranda give in to their love and save their marriage?



I've been a fan of Lynne Connolly's Richard and Rose series and when I came across this new series, the Triple Countess books, I couldn't resist trying them out.

The first story is about Daniel and Miranda, they have been married for 5 years although theirs was an arranged marriage they fell in love. Since Miranda gave birth to their second son the doctor has recommended Daniel to avoid marital relations because if Miranda becomes pregnant again she may die in childbirth. This has made a strain in their marriage and Daniel is thinking of getting himself a mistress when his brothers decide to make them spend some time together and see if they can save their marriage.

I thought this was a plot with many possibilities. I love books where characters already have a relationship and have to work on it. Daniel's brothers, using a lost wager has pretext, convince Daniel that he must take his wife and spend some time at a country inn making the business successful. The story then proceeds at fast pace, if the main thing is Daniel and Miranda working on their relationship, Connolly manages to add enough adventure in the form of lecherous gentleman, runaway young ladies and rivaling coaching owners to keep us entertained.

My main complaint is that we do have a look at Daniel's life and who he is, the name triple countess is because his mother married 3 Earls and had a son from each one and we do know that story during the course of the novel. But we don't really know much about Miranda. I think it would have worked better for me if I had known her better. Another complaint is that ending came about a bit too neatly. I did like the story though and I am now curious to know what will happen to Daniel's brothers. I understand Orlando's book is next in the series but Corin doesn't seem to have his own book... I have them here so I guess I'll just pick them up next.

Grade: 4/5

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Aneca, I'm really glad you enjoyed the book!
    Corin's book was delayed because I gave him the wrong heroine! I wrote half the book but there was no spark, so I had to give up. But I found him another heroine, and now the book is coming out in April.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to know you found him the right heroine. I can't wait to read it. .-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to chat about books and stuff and I would love to hear from like minded readers. Please do leave me a comment :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...