Thursday, October 17, 2013

Unseen - Karin Slaughter (Romantic Suspense Reading C. and TBR Challenge)

Bill Black is a scary guy: a tall ex-con who rides to work on a Harley and trails an air of violence wherever he goes. In Macon, Georgia, Bill has caught the eye of a wiry little drug dealer and his cunning girlfriend. They think Bill might be a useful ally. They don’t know that Bill is actually a Georgia Bureau of Investigation agent named Will Trent. Or that he is fighting his own demons, undercover and cut off from the support of Sara Linton—the woman he loves, who cannot be told of the risk Will is taking.

Sara herself has come to Macon because of a cop shooting: Her stepson, Jared, has been gunned down in his own home. Sara holds Lena, Jared’s wife, responsible: Lena, a detective, has been a magnet for trouble all her life, and Jared’s death is not the first time someone Sara loved got caught in the crossfire. Furious, Sara finds herself involved in the same case that Will is working without even knowing it, and soon danger is swirling around both of them.

In a novel of fierce intensity, shifting allegiances, and shocking twists, two investigations collide with a conspiracy straddling both sides of the law.



OK maybe it's time to get a new computer because this one failed me again and although I had the reviews written they weren't scheduled and I missed deadlines again. Not a happy camper!
 
I really enjoyed Slaughter's previous book Criminal. It focused especially on Will Trent's history and,since I really like Will Trent, I was looking forward to continue following him. This book also brings back Lena Adams, who we met in previous books but wasn't present in Criminal, and Dr Sara Linton.
 
There were actually two story lines at work here that Slaughter merges beautifully when the time is right. First the investigation that Will - Bill Black - is pursuing and secondly the attempted murder of Lena and Jared. My problem with this story was that I felt that Lena and Sara's confrontation took too much space from the real investigation and after Reading all the books in the series I think Sara's attacks on Lena are getting a bit old.
 
The story stalled for me till till our attention i moved back to the case and then I was completely hooked and couldn't wait to read more and find out what had been going on. I think Slaughter kept us in the dark for a long time and while I guessed who the big bad guy was I think that was more  "lucky guess" than any real clever thinking on my part.
 
As is usual in Slaughter's books there's a whole lot of violence going on but it all makes sense (if violence can ever make sense) when we get to unravel what is a very complex type of plot. I did feel a bit upset at times with the themes the author chooses nut no one can say that she doesn't know how to write a griping story. I was left wondering if we will ever see Lena show up again and I find that would like that very much.
 
Grade: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to chat about books and stuff and I would love to hear from like minded readers. Please do leave me a comment :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...