Thursday, December 7, 2006

Mistletoe and Murder - Carola Dunn

Mistletoe and Murder is the december book for the discussion at my CozyMystery group. It was my first book by this author and I had no idea what to expect. I'm new to the cozy mystery subgenre and have only tried 2 or 3 authors yet.



In December 1923, Daisy Dalrymple Fletcher yields to the demands of her mother and the needs of her writing career and brings her family to an old Cornish estate for Christmas. The estate, occupied by the poor relations of the ancestral lord, has a rich history of lore, ghost stories, and festering resentmentssome or all of which leaves them all trapped in a house with a corpse and a murderer

What I really liked about it were the characters, I liked Daisy and her modern behaviour and how it was totally at odds with her mother's ideas. The 20s must have a been an interesting decade to live in with so many things changing. I liked how all the characters were well developed and I was especially curious about Daisy and Alec's relationship. I'll just have to find the book that deals with their courtship as they are newly married in this one.

I was very interested in the family's history at first but at some point, with so many suspects to think of, that lost a bit of it's appeal and I think the story slowed down a bit. Then Daisy starts making sense of what she knows and I was really surprised by the ending. An entertaining read, I grade it a B-. Looking forward to know more about Alec and Daisy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to chat about books and stuff and I would love to hear from like minded readers. Please do leave me a comment :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...