Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What's on Your Nightstand?


It's that time of the month again and I have new books in my nightstand. I've been in a bit of a reading slump lately, I'm not reading as fast as I used to and I think I've became a bit of a mood reader. This means that sometimes the books that I put on my nightstand are not the ones I end up reading first. Still, I always have a good time going through my shelves and selecting the titles I might want to read next so I always do that on the eve of having this post going up. Here's what I selected yesterday:


This is the first story in a mystery series set in Ancient Rome, featuring Marcus Didius Falco. The story sees Falco travelling to Britain in search of missing silver pigs, where he meets Helena Justina, and romance begins to blossom.


When the body of a young man is discovered deep beneath the icy waters of Lake Grant, a note left under a rock by the shore points to suicide. But within minutes, it becomes clear that this is no suicide. It's a brutal, cold-blooded murder. All too soon former Grant County medical examiner Sara Linton -- home for Thanksgiving after a long absence -- finds herself unwittingly drawn into the case. The chief suspect is desperate to see her, but when she arrives at the local police station she is met with a horrifying sight -- he lies dead in his cell, the words 'Not me' scrawled across the walls. Something about his confession doesn't add up and deeply suspicious of the detective in charge, Lena Adams, Sara immediately calls the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. Shortly afterwards, Special Agent Will Trent is brought in from his vacation to investigate. But he is immediately confronted with a wall of silence. Grant County is a close-knit community with loyalties and ties that run deep. And the only person who can tell the truth about what really happened is dead.


Readers were first introduced to Allegreto, the elegant assassin, in For My Lady's Heart. Now, he is a charismatic, dangerous man who will stop at nothing to regain his rightful place in the rich Italian principality of Monteverde. And the perfect tool has just fallen into his hands, in the lovely form of Lady Elena--the long-lost Monteverde princess. Only she can solidify his claim...but the dark passion that grows between them is more dangerous than any treachery mortal men could devise.


Mysteries and romance, historicals and contemporary. I think that's a nice mix! :-)


What's on Your Nightstand is a monthly event hosted at 5 Minutes for Books

5 comments:

  1. I don't usually go for mystery and suspense (unless someone gives me a plot summary that draws me in!)--but that second title sounds absolutely fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of any of these but the covers sure are beautiful. Happy reading!

    Nancy @ 5minutesforbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your books! They sound excellent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed the first couple of books in the Falco series. I really need to go and find the next book in the series again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't started it yet but hope to soon...

    ReplyDelete

I love to chat about books and stuff and I would love to hear from like minded readers. Please do leave me a comment :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...